Friday, January 27, 2012

Christmas Gifts

Well I'm not sure about all of you, but I know how easily we get caught up in our own little worlds.  Filled with all the 'I wants'...and often fulfilling them.  Somehow.

I have been ruthlessly cleaning out cupboards for some months, rueing how much money I've wasted with unnecessary 'stuff'...building up and gathering dust in the far depths of the cupboards.
Unused.
Unneeded.
Forgotten about.

So as I've piled up all the things that we really don't need, or will ever use, I wondered what to do with them all.  I somehow wanted to involve the kids...to encourage them to give to others.

I'm no saint.  Don't get me wrong.  But sometimes I try to do the right thing.  And desperately want to teach my children that they too can do the right thing.

I thought about all the oldies in nursing homes who can't celebrate (or often even remember the joy) Christmas as we do.  Who are often alone.  Who are often lonely.  As mum is the DON of a nearby nursing home, with her permission (and help!) the kids all wrapped presents to deliver to those in the nursing home.

So the day after Christmas, armed with a trolley load of presents, mum's lead, lots of enthusiasm & my camera...off we went delivering the gifts.

We really would have been like a whirlwind in each room...bustling in, all seven of us.
The kids a bit unsure at first.
Cautious for a moment.
Then unwinding quickly, and racing to deliver the next and help them unwrap their present.

Honestly, I don't think a lot of the oldies would have minded if it was an empty box.  The look of joy and pleasure on their faces at having children come and visit them made the whole exercise worthwhile.
Satisfying.


4 comments:

Anna said...

That's a really nice idea, and they are lovely photos!

Jo said...

Aww, love these!

Leah Cruikshank Photography said...

These are just beautiful :). xx

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful idea!! The look on their faces has bought a tear to my eye! Well done to you and the kiddos :)